Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Tea report #2

Tea fans:

This month's tea report is going to be a bit sad. I was pretty busy w/ my parents, so I didn't do much tea shopping. I did however do quite a few cream teas/afternoon teas, so I'll recap those. Although, many of those are listed in other blog posts.

Tea shopping:

Yesterday I checked out Drury Tea & Coffee Company which also has a location in the Covent Garden area. Loved their little store and the guy working was very willing to help me. Lots of good looking flavors of loose leaf tea (including a black cherry one I might go back and get) and lots of pyramid tea bags (which I like because they're quick and easy to use and cooler looking than a regular tea bag). I got some sweet apple tea bags. I had some yesterday. The flavor is very mild, but nice. I like this little store and would certainly recommend it!

I also checked out Harrod's tea selection w/ my parents. Fumiko got me some delicious Earl Grey from Harrod's when she was here. I found that place a bit overwhelming and didn't buy any tea that day. Maybe another day. If I can make myself go in there again.

Tea making:

As I noted in another blog, I learned about brewing tea in the pot and then pouring it over a strainer this week. I tried it at home. The tea tasted wonderful. But, cleaning the pot was a mess. Not sure if that's easier or cleaning out my little tea house shaped strainer is easier. Hence the reason I got some tea bags this week. BUT, I totally get the importance and deliciousness of properly brewing tea w/ the loose leaf stuff. It does taste way better.

Tea out and about:

Let's see. I had cream tea in the Cotswalds (B), afternoon tea w/ my parents at Bea's (A-), cream tea in Salisbury (C-), and cream tea in Bath (A-). Good stuff.

Next month: Look out for some unusual afternoon teas I plan on doing here in London and a few more visits to some tea shops. Only 2 more months to purchase/try all these teas!!

4 comments:

  1. The black cherry sounds like it would be good! I'm still disappointed I didn't get to try my iced tea you had purchased for me! Can't believe how fast your time is going - only 2 months! I didn't like the afternoon tea I bought at Harrods! Should have gotten the Breakfast tea! Enjoy your teatimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be a tea expert come December. Don't know how you remember all the different teas you have tried. I haven't opened my birthday tea from Harrod's, know it will be delicious because it came from London. Do you drink your tea with milk and sugar? I like sweetener, no milk, but isn't it very British to put milk in tea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you going to do when you return to the US and don't have such wonderful tea selection or tea stores or afternoon teas anymore? Tea is terrible in Germany, by the way. It's like they don't understand what good tea is supposed to taste like. I have to import all the teas that I really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison, you need a teapot with an infuser basket. better tea, easier cleanup. Like this: http://www.whittard.co.uk/tableware/product-type/tableware-teapots/all-teapots/blue-stump-teapot.htm

    ReplyDelete