Monday, October 13, 2014

London Cocktail Week

Ok...so I did 17 cocktails in 7 days...well actually 6 days because I didn't get around to having a drink on Monday. My goal was to stay away from crowds and enjoy my beverage. Hence the mid-day drinking. I'd definitely say it was worth the 10pound wristband and if I were ever here again during this time, I would totally do it. I got to explore new neighborhoods and go to bars/restaurants I wouldn't have tried otherwise. Definitely a fun experience. Here's where I went, what I saw, what I tasted, and how things ranked. All descriptions are courtesy of my London Cocktail Week Guidebook and all times are approximate.

Cocktail #1: Tuesday, 1PM. Quarter Bar and Lounge. London Bridge area.

Shardi-ni: A smooth blend of fresh watermelon, passion fruit notes and vanilla-infused vodka.

Taste:  1 Atmosphere: 2 Presentation: 3
SO tasty! And pretty! And, this place was very relaxing and friendly in the middle of the day. Nice swanky chairs to sit in.



Cocktail #2: Tuesday, 1:30PM, Porky's BBQ Bankside. I also had some decent Memphis BBQ with this drink.

Jam Julep: Evan Williams Bourbon, raspberry syrup, blackberry syrup, plum bitters, and a handful of fresh mint. Served w/ a chocolate bourbon cookie. 

Taste: 4 Atmosphere: 12 Presentation: 2
Beautiful and tasty. Just your standard restaurant, but this drink was anything but standard!



Cocktail #3: Tuesday, 8PM, Christopher's Martini Bar w/ Reggie and Steve

Honeymooner: Stolichanaya Honey Vodka, limoncello, fresh raspberry syrup, lime juice, and a dash of Peychaud's bitters

Taste: 15 Atmosphere: 13 Presentation: 5
Fancy martini bar. Not well lit. Something tasted weird in this one, maybe the honey. And we had to drink 1.5 each since the waitress thought we wanted 3 of them (one for each of us, but Steve doesn't drink). 



Cocktail #4: Tuesday, 8:45PM, Bedford & Strand w/ Reggie and Steve

Strawberry and Basil Cooler: Absolut Blue Vodka, homemade basilcello, strawberry puree and lengthened with a splash of soda

Taste: 11 Atmosphere: 8 Presentation: 11
Just boring. But, the place was kinda cool down in a basement.



Cocktail #5: Wednesday, 1:30PM, Aqua Spirit near Oxford Circus

They didn't have the ingredients for the special cocktail, so I got to order whatever I wanted off their menu. I did the Japanese Velvet: Pear sake, pear puree, lemongrass, lime juice, honey, and apple juice.

Taste: 10 Atmosphere: 7 Presentation: 4
Interesting taste...actually not that bad to be ranked so low. This was a fancy sushi restaurant on the 5th floor of some building.



Cocktail #6: Wednesday, 2:00PM, Whyte & Brown

Whyte Wine Spritz: white wine, rhubarb bitters, rose lemonade, mint, and lemon zest

Taste: 12 Atmosphere: 11 Presentation: 12
Standard wine spritzer. Nothing to write home about.



Cocktail #7: Thursday, 1PM, The Alchemist w/ two of my Statistics students

Loire Lady: Chambord black raspberry liqueur blended with grapefruit vodka, dry and sweet vermouths and citrus bitters. Heated and poured over dry ice and served over cubed ice.

Taste: 6 Atmosphere: 1 Presentation: 1
Holy amazingness! And the menu is amazing. And the bar itself is beautiful. I must return. They do dinner and stuff too. Looks fun!


Cocktail #8: Thursday, 1:30PM, 3 South Place Bar & Grill w/ two of my Statistics students

SPH Autumn: Bacardi Superior Rum infused with cucumber, green tea syrup, lime juice, peach bitters, cooked pear, and mint leaves

Taste: 9 Atmosphere: 15 Presentation: 6
Boring hotel bar. Very crowded w/ the lunch crew. The bartender did come over and explain the drink to us, so that was nice. Very refreshing.


Cocktail #9: Thursday, 8:30PM, El Nivel w/ Reggie and Steve. We also had some Mexican Tapas.

Mexican 55: Ocho Blanco Tequila, lime, Yellow Charteuse, pimento dram and topped with sparkling wine

Taste: 8 Atmosphere: 6 Presentation: 13
Cool space upstairs where you could see into the changing rooms of a musical happening. Fun to watch. Drink was like a mimosa w/ tequila added. Food was decent.


Cocktail #10: Thursday, 9:30PM, Jamie Oliver's Secret Basement Bar w/ Reggie and Steve. We also played Scrabble.

Covent Garden: Gin, elderflower liqueur, and fresh apple and lemon juices

Taste: 14 Atmosphere: 9 Presentation: 9
Smelled funky in here. Drink was just okay. All I really tasted was the apple juice.


Cocktail #11: Friday, 3:30PM,  The Print Room

The Print Room Twist: Absolut Wild Tea vodka, earl grey syrup, creme de peche and topped with Prosecco

Taste: 2 Atmosphere: 3 Presentation: 14
Yummy!! And this place has balconies overlooking Covent Garden. I sat inside because the balconies were crowded on a Friday afternoon, but I might check this place out during the week.

Cocktail #12: Saturday, 11:30AM, Black & Blue Borough Market

Bold English Rose: Cherries, cassia, a few secret ingredients, sweet-and-sour cherry, spice and floral notes, elderflower cordial, fresh lemon juice and raspberries

Taste: 3 Atmosphere: 14 Presentation: 7
Yummy again! I drank this down in no time. So yummy. Not even sure if it had alcohol in it. :) Just a restaurant otherwise.


Cocktail #13: Saturday, 4PM, Adventure Bar

The Appleton Dreamcatcher: Appleton Estate Rum, Chambord black raspberry liqueur, vanilla, apple and passionfruit with a fortune cookie on the side.

Taste: 5 Atmosphere: 4 Presentation:8
Cool basement bar. I bet it's crazy when it's busy at night. I enjoyed it at 4PM and they have drink specials during the week until 10 or something. I'd go back. Oh, one of the drinks had a cricket on a stick w/ it. Weird, but cool.


Cocktail #14: Saturday, 4:30PM, Foundation Bar

The Gaffa: A rum based concoction sweetened with peach liqueur and apple juice, topped with fresh lime and spicy ginger beer

Taste: 7 Atmosphere: 5 Presentation: 10
Another cool basement bar. Liked the vibe in here too, but again I bet it's nuts when it gets late. I'd go back in the middle of the day again. :)


Cocktail #15: Saturday, 5:15PM, Pix, Ate a few required snacks from the snack/tapas buffet

Pomaroyal: Pomarina Brut Cider and Chambord black raspberry liqueur

Taste: 16 Atmosphere: 16 Presentation: 16
Blah. Boring drink. Boring food. Crowded.

Cocktail #16: Sunday, 9:30AM, Dishroom

The Dhoble: Fresh orange juice, spiced gin, Maraschino liqueur and a squeeze of lemon, served over cubed ice

Taste: 13 Atmosphere: 10 Presentation: 15
Drink was fine. Tasted like OJ. Just a restaurant. Nothing too exciting.



Cocktail #17: Sunday, 12:15PM, Angostura Butterfly House

Daiquiri

Taste: 17 Atmosphere: 17 Presentation: 17
Bad move. Should have skipped the drink. Too much rum that early in the day. I even forgot to take a pic of it it was so boring. The butterfly house was cool, but sitting outside the house drinking this wasn't. Blah. Bad way to end my week, but it was too rainy for me to go out Sunday night and I was being productive, so I stayed in. 





2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a week -- 17 different cocktails in 6 days...almost 3 a day! Don't know how to get around so easily (at least seems easy). Some cocktails look so good that I'd probably drink with you. The presentations alone would want me to try them. Interesting. If I had a drink at 4 pm, I'd be asleep by 6 pm. I would avoid the crowds too, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had more than the 7 you originally were planning on! You did it right!

    ReplyDelete