Monday, November 17, 2014

An overnight trip to Cardiff and Bath

Last Sunday/Monday I took a little overnight trip to Cardiff and Bath. So fun! Loved the length of the trip, the cities I visited and the sights I saw. Here's a quick overview:

Left London a bit before 8AM. After a few delays on the train (one due to loose cows on the track), I arrived in Cardiff at 11:30AM. I dropped my bag at the Royal Hotel right in the middle of town and headed to the Farmer's Market along the river. I picked up a yummy duck burger and some freshly made Welsh cakes. Both were delicious. OH and I had some warm elderflower cordial. I don't even know what that is, but it was tasty too.

Cows on the track!
Farmer's Market and the stadium

Cool trees outside the train station in Cardiff
Welsh cakes...freshly made! Yum!

Then, I walked over to Cardiff Castle and checked it out. I did the tour of the extra rooms and that is totally worth it. Just for the Winter Smoking Room alone. Really a cool place w/ a rich history. Romans. William the Conqueror. And then some rich dude. After the castle, I did a bit of shopping but am sad I didn't buy more ridiculous Welsh gifts. I bought myself a Christmas ornament, but no postcards to send to friends. I thought I'd have time later. But, no. :( Oh well. While I was strolling around I ran in to the start of their Christmas market!! OH MY! Apparently it opens this coming weekend, but a couple of vendors were open. I avoided it because I was getting ready to run, but I so wanted some mulled wine. Instead I found the Science Cream shop and got liquid nitrogen ice cream to fuel my run. Chocolate w/ toasted hazelnuts and raspberry sauce. Delicious.




Creepy devil's head outside door to the Winter Smoking Room



Rooftop garden, but no more plants because the water was ruining the floor.


Secret tunnels exist inside the outer castle walls. Creepy, but also cool.

Christmas market sighting!

Science Cream


Then, I did my 1.5 hour run through the park and along the river. Great run. But, it freaking gets dark here around 5PM now, so it was dark by the time I got done and I got locked in the park and had to find another way out (over a bridge to the other side of the river). Annoying.




I went and took a quick shower and then went to find food. Most things were closed at 6PM on a Sunday, but I finally find a place called the Cozy Cafe. The host sat me at a cute corner table by the window. I sat there for 15 minutes until I finally waved my arms in the air to flag down the server who had been to the two tables next to me 3 times each and had just ignored me. I was super annoyed. But, I think he thought someone was joining me, so maybe that's why he was waiting? Whatever. I finally got a drink and some food. It was ok. Then, I went back to the hotel and settled in for the Downton Abbey season finale. Great stuff.

This morning, I got up around 7 and got ready. Stopped at Starbucks and then took the 8:30 train to Bath. Arrived at the fancy spa at about 9:30 and spent two hours there. Amazing place. You must go if you're in Bath. I first hung out on the rooftop pool which was really nice. Water about 92 degrees. Outside temp about 52. I loved the mix of hot and cold. Then, I checked out the glass steam rooms. Four rooms. Each w/ a scent. Eucalyptus. Jasmine. Ginger and Lemongrass. Eucalyptus and mint. I checked out all four w/ some waterfall shower in between. Or sometimes a cold shower in between. Loved the Eucalyptus room because it was overly steamy. Jasmine was also very nice. Ginger and Lemongrass was gross. And the one with the mint felt nice on my throat. After that I checked out the pool downstairs. It was the same as the one on the roof, but not on the roof. So, that was boring. So, back up to the roof I went. A lovely way to spend the morning. Showered. Dried my hair and then went to my favorite little tea room, Bea's Vintage Tea Shop. Had a lovely lunch. Then, did some fun shopping in the city. I was back in London by 4PM and I finished grading all my essays on the train rides (ok...I had to do about 5 more here at home...but that wasn't bad). No pics from the spa, but check out their website for the view from the pool and pics of the steam rooms and such: http://www.thermaebathspa.com/.

Pumpkin nut cake. Not as good as Donna's, but it was tasty.


Loved getting to see a bit of Wales and just having a fun little weekend get away. 

1 comment:

  1. I love these overnight side trips, Alison. Is there anything left you haven't seen? That pumpkin nut cake with cream cheese icing(?) looks delicious! Not fun getting locked inside a park at dark of all times!! What were you thinking? I've been wondering, do you pay for things with US dollars or England pounds? Is the conversion difficult? Do they have coins like we do? That castle sounds creepy. Speaking of Christmas, it's beginning to look and feel a lot like Christmas around here. Snowed yesterday (about 2" we got). Today's super low temps tied for a record in1889 (believe that was the year), many many many years ago. Then going to get in the 60's Monday; weird weather! I would have liked the smell-good steam rooms. Were there any other people in the pool/steam rooms? Glad you got to take a break, but busy as a bee like always! Love the pictures, Alison. Feel as though I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete