Monday, September 22, 2014

Last few days with the parents

My parents left on Wednesday morning, but not before we had a few more fun adventures!

Monday: I got to play tourist w/ my parents today. I started the day with my long run (9 miles) around the river and met my parents at Buckingham Palace for our 9:30 tour of the staterooms. I wasn't sure how this was going to go, but I loved it! The palace was way cooler than I thought it was and I certainly recommend this to anyone in town in August-September (the only time they open the palace). PLUS, while I was strolling through the one room w/ some of the Queen's art collection I stumbled upon *the* Vermeer painting discussed in the documentary Tim's Vermeer. This movie was fabulous and I had seen it w/ running buddy Michael this past spring. I couldn't BELIEVE I was seeing this painting. I wanted to do a little dance there. No pics. No phones allowed, so I had to enjoy it by myself, but it was incredible. I stared at it for quite some time looking at all the little details I know all about having spent 2 hours with that painting just a few months ago. GREAT stuff!

Then, we went to Harrod's (London's answer to Macy's). We just stayed on the first floor and went to the tea/chocolate area. That was enough for me. Chaos there. I'm not sure I need to return.

We had lunch at the little cafe on the lake in Hyde Park. Pizza and Pimm's again for me. We had many pigeon friends join us. Always good times there.




After lunch, we went to the British Library. Loved it! I got to see Leonardo's notebooks, original hand written music by Mozart and Handel, the Magna Carta, a Gutenberg bible...the list goes on and on. Impressive stuff! And it doesn't take very long to visit. After the library, dad went home to take a nap.

Mom and I headed to Abbey Road so she could get her pic at the famous zebra crossing. Mom loves her some Beatles. It was fun. I did my pic too. After some shopping, we headed home to rest a bit before dinner.



We had some grocery store snacks for dinner and called it a day. Busy day!

Tuesday: My parents went off to do Tower of London, Westminster, and the Hop-on-hop-off bus. I went to class and then got some work done. We met up for a brilliant afternoon tea at Bea's Teas of Bloomsbury. We went to the St. Paul's location since it was supposed to cater to afternoon tea. It was so nice. The sandwiches were GOOD this time. On little baguettes. Cupcakes, marshmallows, meringue, 3 kinds of brownies, scones, and yummy tea. I had the vanilla black. It was very tasty.





After tea, we walked back along the Thames and my parents got to packing. We had some cheese and crackers (and the leftover cupcakes) for dinner since everyone was still full from tea. Mom and I shared a black cherry cider. It was delicious.

On Wednesday, I helped them navigate the tube and got them to Paddington Station and off to Heathrow. Then, I went for a run in Regent's Park and Holland Park. OMG! Another amazing new park. This one had forests and an amazing Japanese garden. Ed's suggestion. Brilliant. I'm going to need to build a Royal park in my back yard or something. Love them!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having us. Can't believe I was actually in Buckingham Palace last Monday! I'm still sorting through my 2000 photos and trying to label them while I still remember some of the places!! Holland Park??? How did we miss that one? So enjoyed the parks. Just wish we would have had time to see Kew Gardens. Am continuing to enjoy England through your blog though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had a vacation they're never forget! So much to see and do and not enough time. Your mother gave me a box of Harrod's black tea!! The box alone is a great souvenir with Harrod's name and the British flag. I shall drink the tea out of my moose coffee mugs your mother gave me. Both the Harrod's tea and moose coffee mugs were among my birthday gifts. She showed me more pictures of the afternoon tea and so much food for 4 people! Loved the teapot lights. Am enjoying our adventures, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should have edited my comments... They had a vacation they'll never forget! (Typing too fast for my brain to catch up - ha.)

    ReplyDelete