Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 5: Busy nights

Time is flying by! I can't believe another week has already passed. Here are the highlights of the work week:

Cryptology class: We talked a bit about World War I this week and did a cipher that combined two other ciphers we had done before. Then, the students did great work learning matrix arithmetic and performing all sorts of operations mod 26. They used this to do some basic Hill cipher questions. They continue to impress me w/ their willingness to try new things.

Stats class: Fun week w/ an Oprah book club episode to discuss the history of statistics book they read. Also, the first ever found statistics show and tell happened. I thought it turned out pretty well. Some items were better than others, but overall they did well. We finished up chi-squared discussions and next week we'll talk about assumptions.




Monday: Work day. But, I did do my long run around the river. It was funny though because as I was going out I was telling Ed I didn't want to run around the river again and was looking for another route but didn't want to deal w/ the crowded public transport at that time of day. He made fun of me for complaining about running around the Thames...like that was such a bad thing! I laughed because I'm pretty sure the Thames is better than the concrete suburbia I run in every week in Cedar Park.

Tuesday: Again, I think I just went to work and came home.

Wednesday: Worked in the morning. Went for a run along the Regents Canal towpath in the afternoon. Started at Victoria Park and ran down to Limestone Basin. It was cool to see all the little house boats and such. And, I ran across a Dixie Chicken on my way back to the tube. I took a pic for my Aggie friends who understand what that means. :)


That evening, I went to Giraffe restaurant w/ Ed and his guests for dinner. Thye had a great happy hour! They have many locations, but this one is right on Southbank overlooking the river. I had a strawberry Moscow mule and an apple/elderflower chiller. They were like 3 pounds each! Delicious! I'll need to go here more often. And the food wasn't bad either. Then, it was off to the Science Museum. Once a month they open late for adults only and have some sort of themed events. This month was magic and illusions. I went to a talk on math and card tricks, made my own print, and watched people dance at a silent disco. Silent disco is a big thing here. People put on headphones and everyone is listening to the same thing, but there's no music playing out loud. On my way out YMCA was playing and it was hilarious to watch these people dance and out of the blue scream out the YMCA parts. I need to go w/ friends next time. I think it'd be more fun.





Thursday: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the musical tonight! It wasn't as good as I had hoped, but still fun to see. The set/costumes were amazing. Giant dancing squirrels, light up Oompa Loompas, glass elevator. And, just FYI: they only sing one song (the Imagine one) from the movie version. So, don't get your hopes up for your favorite Oompa Loompa song or any others.

Friday: More excitement here as I went to the ballet at the Royal Opera house. BalletBoyz were doing a show and the ads looked amazing, so I checked it out. It was interesting. Very modern. Three pieces total. The first one had this great part were 3 men would dance at a time and two would be in sync and the third doing something different and then all of a sudden seamlessly, the other two would be in sync and the third would be doing the different thing. Super cool. The last one was really nice with more fancy ballet moves. Definitely an interesting evening. Oh and on my way to the show, I saw all these bikers on Southbank under the bridge. Not sure what it was.

1 comment:

  1. Another fascinating week. You are so busy, don't know how you remember from day-to-day what you've done. You must be careful on your runs, Alison. Don't go where there aren't people; just always be aware of your surroundings. The silent disco probably helps ears remain safe from loud noise. You watched and didn't dance? I was wondering if they played Bee Gees disco music (my favorite).

    ReplyDelete