Thursday, July 17, 2014

Home, Work, and Some Shopping

Today's post is just about some everyday things. First, you'll notice some changes to the blog template to help make reading things easier. I still don't love it, but I'm working on it.

As requested, here are some pics of the flat Ed and I are renting in London. It's 2 stories w/ a basement. You'll see pics here of the ground level (living room, conservatory, dining room and kitchen).




























Upstairs are 2 bedrooms (one w/ 2 twin beds and one w/ one queen bed) and 2 bathrooms (one w/ a shower in the room w/ the queen and one unattached bath w/ a tub). There is also an office upstairs that now has a functioning Ooma box! So, my Texas number works here now. Yay!!


The basement has a washer/dryer. And our street is pretty adorable. So adorable in fact they just finished filming a movie here! Apparently this happens all the time! That would be crazy exciting!!













 We headed to IES today to see where we'd be working. Here's a somewhat decent pic of the classroom I'll be using. It's decent. The "desks" seem small, but that's okay. We'll manage. She did snag 2 whole white boards for me, so that's nice. :)  On the way, Ed got a Diet Coke and there was one right in front of the case w/ my name on it! Exciting!



















Then, it was shopping time! We got junky cell phones for students to contact us while we're here and so we have local numbers. Then, I found a phone for the Ooma box. We also went to Primark which has crazy cheap stuff but was too chaotic for me when I was hungry. So, I left w/ nothing. I'll go there early some morning...when I'm not hungry...and maybe when it's slightly less crowded. After dinner, I went to H&M and bought a skirt and dress. I just need something to wear in this heat wave! It's going to be like 86 tomorrow. It's quite warm at night w/o A/C. And walking about town is HOT! So, hopefully these two items (for a total of 8.99 pounds) will help me get through this heat.
On my way home I found this adorable frozen yogurt bus parked next to the Thames. I waited in the queue and got some peanut butter yogurt w/ chocolate sauce and then sat upstairs on the bus and watched the sunset over the Thames. Not a bad way to end the day.


Also on my way home, I took a slightly different route than usual and thankfully these awesome bird prints are all over the sidewalk that lead to the street I need to turn on. Perfect. Like a bread trail. Hope they'll stay there for a while. That's about it for today. I did some Scandinavia trip planning this AM and then worked on some math. I know this all isn't very exciting yet, but I do have some work to do and so I'm trying to do a bit of that here at the house each day with a bit of exploring added on.  Note of the day: it's weird to live in a touristy town. I live close to Austin and even when I'm in the city I don't feel like I'm surrounded by tourists. In San Antonio, I feel that way. I've lived in small towns my whole life. And now, I'm really living in a big city and one that people come to as tourists. It's a bit strange and weird that people have cameras out all the time. Fascinating.



2 comments:

  1. Your flat is so nice! Wow! Sounds like you are settling in! And why did the coke have your name on it? Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it exciting. I love being there with you! Your 'flat' looks great. Sorry no a/c. Love the pictures. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete