Tuesday, July 15, 2014

MADE IT!!



So, for those of you who aren't my Facebook friend, I did indeed make it to London as originally planned (despite a 3 hour flight delay). YAY! Carina and I left Georgetown around 8:30 yesterday morning and drove 3 hours to Houston. We arrived at the CKGS office and 2 other folks were also waiting to get their passports back. One had been waiting 7 weeks. The other 5 weeks. OH MY! I was losing hope. But, I finally had a chance to shove my paperwork into the hands of some guy that was getting things done, and 20 minutes later I had my passport in hand. It was 1PM. My flight left Austin at 6:10PM. Carina convinced me we could so make it and we did!!  Thankfully Carina came with me yesterday because first I almost just left my bags at home since I had lost hope and then even when I had my passport in hand, I didn't think I was really ready to go. She was insistent. And so far all is good. I may have left a few things incomplete back home, but hopefully folks can take care of that for me.

I typed this post while on a train to central London. From there I took a taxi to my home for the next 5 months. Ed had already arrived when I got to our place around 2:30PM.

Only glitch so far: the immigration officer refused to issue me a business visitor visa because of the wording on my letters I had from SU and IES. So, he issued me a student visa instead. That should be a real freaking blast to explain every time I come and go from the UK. Ugh!!

My flight was amazing! I had a whole row to myself. Plenty of room to stretch out. I even laid down across the 3 seats for a while. I completed 2 episodes of House of Cards and the movie That Awkward Moment. Perfect plane stuff.



Have spent afternoon meeting owners of our home, unpacking and having first fish and chips! Will post pics and more stories tomorrow, but it's a bit after 7 here and I'm ready for bed!!


5 comments:

  1. Debbie Marr aka MomJuly 16, 2014 at 6:57 AM

    Glad you are finally there! Excited to hear about your place and see photos! Hope you were able to sleep and get adjusted to the new time zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good positive attitude! Good job, Carina, too! We will miss you sorely but I'm so glad that you've made it safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fish and chips in London. Already jealous! Txt whatever you might need here. Glad you are getting settled!
    Romi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you're in London!! I'm excited to read about all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete