Monday, July 28, 2014

Running in the city and a classic high school flashback....minus the saxophone

Pretty quiet Saturday-Monday here. Mainly stayed in the house and did some work. Math. And Scandinavia trip planning. House cleanup. However, a few exciting events:

1) Ed and I tried the lottery for Streetcar Named Desire tickets Saturday. No luck. We didn't win tickets to the show based on the random draw. So, we tried again today (no show on Sunday). But, it was press night so no lottery. But, the super nice lady at the desk told us there were still some secret tickets for sale that had just become available. SO for 25 pounds we're sitting in the 3rd row on August 11 to see the play! Yipee!

2) Running: I did my first double digit miles in London on Sunday. Ran through the three big touristy parks (St. James, Green, and Hyde). It was nice. A bit warm, but nice. And there was a big race happening in Hyde Park so it was fun to see all the runners and all the roads were closed so that was nice! I needed to do a 5 miler tomorrow, but I'm headed to Scandinavia tomorrow so I decided to do it tonight (one less set of running clothes to pack!). So, off I went on a nice cool night to run around the river. My usual Waterloo-Tower bridge loop. About a mile in I was running on the sidewalk that is not really cobblestone. More like large tiles. Apparently some of them stick out of the ground a bit. And I tripped on one tonight and down I went. It all happened in slow motion. I put out my hands to catch myself and landed on my hands and right knee. I quickly sat up and some guy (with a backpack of course) was there holding his hand out to help me up. I tried to say thank you but I'm not sure it came out. But I definitely said "shit, shit, shit." So, not sure if he heard the thank you or just the last part. But, I kept on running. Needed to get away from that embarrassment ASAP. I ran a bit and then stopped to check the damage to my knee. Just a minor scrape. A little bloody both nothing terrible. So, I continued on to finish up my 4 miles. All I could think in that moment was where was the "I get knocked down, but I get up again" Chumbawamba tune when I needed it. I'll need to add that to the iPod shuffle rotation. It was probably some kind of bad karma for running a day early and not letting my body rest. 

Anyways, this whole incident reminded me of that time on my way to band practice in high school when I tripped over a backpack and landed on my saxophone (poor dented saxophone) and my knees and got back up and kept walking. With blood dripping down my knees. I went to practice and blood continued to drip. Until Ms. Porter yelled over the microphone for me to go back and clean off my knees. Classic. My high school friends love this story. Well, friends...I got to relive it today on the streets of London...minus the saxophone. And minus the class vice president speech I had to give the next day with tons of band-aids on my knees while wearing a short dress.



Good stuff. I'm off to Scandinavia tomorrow! SO, this blog will be quiet for a few days. If you want to follow along on that 12 day adventure, check out whereintheworldisali.blogspot.com.


3 comments:

  1. Yay!! you got our tickets for Streetcar Named Desire!! Glad we didn't do much today (except run and fall down!) because I slept until almost 9:00 this morning. Unheard of for me! Don't know if it was the 3-day company we had, the lost sleep Saturday night, or because I wore myself out in London. Glad we sort of took it easy today (if you think all that running is taking it easy, well then I am over the hill), but falling down isn't my cup of tea, neither is it yours. Lucky you didn't hurt yourself! I was wondering if the nice guy who helped you up was young? available? but you didn't stick around to find out. Maybe next time, but hope there isn't a next time of falling down. Well, I'll catch you in Scandinavia. 12 days? Really? I might have to stay in London to rest and just read about your Scandinavia adventures. Stay safe! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Marr aka MomJuly 31, 2014 at 7:10 PM

    Be careful out there!! Your fall reminds me of the time I fell flat on my face in Providence! So - I can relate to the embarrassment! Enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww poor knees!! But nice that a stranger helped you up. Don't feel bad--I have fallen down in public so may times... Im working on a map of all the places I've fallen down as well as places I'd LIKE to fall down in public! HAHAHA!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete