Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Back in London

I've returned to London after my 12 day adventure in Scandinavia! I spent Saturday/Sunday relaxing and catching up on my US TV shows. So much to watch! Also, it was amazing to not walk/run/move much. My legs needed the rest.

On Sunday, I did venture to the grocery store. Live in person. The largest supermarket (not local small store) is about 1.5 miles away. Ed and I walked there, found all kinds of treasures and then took the 59 bus back. Eventually. The first 59 bus stopped and then left us in the dust because I guess we didn't signal we wanted on the bus. Bummer. So we had to wait 12 minutes. Lesson learned. Must signal for bus to open its doors. I hated this whole process of carrying my grocery bags on the bus and trying to stay out of the way of all the people getting on/off the bus and then carrying the bags from the bus stop to the flat. Blah. I think it's back to online grocery shopping for me!

Then, Ed and I were treated to a real show outside our upstairs windows. They were filming a scene for the movie Legend right on our street! Movie crews. Celebrities! Fake smoke. A camera on a track. A water hose to make it look like it had been raining. The whole deal. We were fascinated for hours. Plus, the male lead is Tom Hardy. He was in Inception which means he must be BFF with Leo. So, I was like a few feet away from one of Leo's BFFs. Amazing.





Monday was a work day. I did some reviewing of journal articles. Caught up on some emails. And finished watching TV. Then, it was off to see Streetcar Named Desire with Gillian Anderson at The Young Vic. It was 3 hours and 20 minutes long! Serious. The acting wasn't that great (other than Gillian). But, the stage was cool. The theater was a circle and the stage was always rotating so we all got good views at different times. It was so fun to just walk over to this theater that is about a block away. Fun first London theater experience. Oh and there was of course the super fan that had Gillian and David tattoos on her legs. Multiple Gillian tattoos. Awesome. And, we had a nice dinner at the theater bar before.



Tuesday has been a solid work day. We had a meeting this morning at IES and then I stopped at Wagamama for lunch on my way home because apparently it used to be a big deal in London. Long lines and stuff. But, now there are locations everywhere so it's not as cool. But, I had never been, so I tried it out. Think Pei Wei of Europe. Yummy Pad Thai. And I got 3 flavors of mochi (raspberry, coconut and sesame) to go. Yum Yum! Spent the rest of the afternoon working on syllabi and planning my Wednesday trip to Bletchley Park.

Jodi will be here this weekend. And Ed's 60th birthday is on Friday. And I'm going to Bletchley tomorrow and running group. So, more fun updates to come!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I don't know if I'm glad we've back in London as we had such a terrific time in all those Scandinavian countries, but I guess it is time and many more London adventures await. Sounds like the bus was an adventure in itself. Don't think I like it. Glad to know who Tom Hardy is, Leo's BFF! I would never have guessed. Sounds like a very busy Monday settling back into London. Hope Ed had a wonderful 60th birthday; am sure it was a good birthday because he had friends to help him celebrate!

    ReplyDelete