Sunday, August 24, 2014

Students!

I've spent the last three days hanging out with our students! Most of them arrived Wednesday and the last one yesterday (as planned). Thursday we had a little orientation and tour of their living space. It was nice to see where they are living and to see that they had all arrived, although they did look a bit tired.


Friday it was a full day of orientation at a college near the IES center. The students seemed to manage pretty well after only one full day in the city.




After orientation, I had my own fun that night and went to see The Bodyguard. On my way into the office that morning, I stopped at the day seats line and waited about 45 minutes until they opened at 10. I scored a front row seat for the show for 25 pounds and it was amazing! The acting wasn't always great, but the signing was awesome and it was all Whitney Houston songs. The lead was apparently the winner of the 5th season of Britain's X-Factor. Loved it.




Saturday was a bus tour of the city which was really fun. Took some pics of the kids enjoying the sites.







Apparently they use this house in Downton Abbey. I don't recognize it, so I'll need to pay closer attention this season.


We followed the band back. Fun times.


Then, Ed and I had lunch at Honest Burger (we were starving as it was almost 1:30). Then, we took a nice long walk to the Wallace Collection where we had tea with the students. We passed by lots of cool things on the way there including The British Library with this great statue of Issac Newton and a beautiful pub with all these hanging flowers.




Tea was great. I had yummy fresh mint tea. At least 3 cups of it. And many treasures. I think the students enjoyed it as well, but maybe weren't prepared to eat that much. :)








Last night was the Doctor Who premiere. It's the first episode I've ever seen of a show that has apparently been on for like 50 years. Fascinating. 


3 comments:

  1. Where did the students come from? Foreign exchange students? Never realized so much to do in London! You will be an official guide come December. The Bodyguard! I would have loved the songs. Did the bodyguard look like Kevin Costner? He is a hottie! Your mother had a yard sale yesterday on the hottest day of the year. Glad she and your dad
    survived. I would have melted (made of sugar). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I've never seen Dr Who, must be on HBO which we don't get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good old Isaac did not look comfortable in that pic. I like the Texas sign! Sounds like you are getting around well. Guess you are recovering!
    Good luck with classes!!!!

    ReplyDelete